overdue-scratch

Author Topic: OSX and chameleon installation into 2nd HDD  (Read 3140 times)

stjaun

• Entrant
OSX and chameleon installation into 2nd HDD
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:44:44 AM »
Hi eveyone, I’m having Windows XP on my current hard disk (say disk 1). I’m planning to get a new hard disk to install OSX on a new hard disk (disk 2) and install chameleon from OSX in disk 2. I’m planning to do such command:

Install MBR
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to partition bootsector
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1

Is that possible to boot with the above command or it would be better for me to just partition disk 1 by having windows and OSX in a single hard disk.

Thank you

zef

• Administrator
Re: OSX and chameleon installation into 2nd HDD
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
I think it would be better to install OS X onto a separate harddisk and install the boot files there.
Then you can add a boot.ini entry in the [operating systems] section to chainload OS X (copy chain0 to your xp partition as well):

Code: [Select]
C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

If you format your OS X disk as MBR then you're done, if you choose GPT then you either create a small msdos filesystem on that disk, in this case Disk Utility will sync your GUID partitions to the MBR area as well (up to 3 partitions). Or use a gptsync tool to do this task.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

stjaun

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
Sorry im totally new and I'm have problem understanding the installation of chameleon and OSX.

Basically I need to do the following:
1. Install boot1h to partition bootsector with sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1
2. Copy chain0 into thumbdrive and exit OSX
3. Go to WindowsXP copy chain0 and edit boot.ini to load chain0.

What is GPT? I really have no idea about this part "if you choose GPT then you either create a small msdos filesystem on that disk, in this case Disk Utility will sync your GUID partitions to the MBR area as well (up to 3 partitions). Or use a gptsync tool to do this task"

Thank you.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:32:34 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

stjaun

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
Okay, it seems that I cant even reach the installation screen after following this website instructions (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187416&hl=). Anyone has any good site/link to recommend step-by-step installation.

Thank you