Author Topic: 1T drive not being seen fully  (Read 2291 times)

SnowAnd7

• Entrant
1T drive not being seen fully
« on: November 03, 2009, 12:53:36 AM »
Hello all,

I installed Win 7 and Snow Leopard on my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R based system, with a WD 1T drive. It was partitioned with two half-size partitions with GUID partition table. I installed Snow Leopard using a FW800 external box, and installed RC3 of Chameleon (as well as all the necessary /Extra files) and am able to boot and operate Snow Leopard (on the first partition, near the beginning of the drive).

After getting all that to work, I installed Win 7 to the second partition. It overwrote Chameleon. So, I now boot Snow Leopard from an external USB key drive just fine, and when I want to boot to Win 7, I change boot priority (pushing F12 at the BIOS boot) or just take out the USB flash key.

However, Snow Leopard (10.6.1) cannot see the second partition in Disk Utility, and it won't let me modify the partitions. The graphical Chameleon boot does not see the Win7 partition either. Win 7, however, within the operating system sees the whole drive and, indeed, I even configured it to boot Vista (on a second drive, my original drive) from the boot menu, without a problem. At install time, however, Win 7 wouldn't let me use the upper half-drive partition; I had to repartition with a 410MB partition before it would install.

I am running (unofficial) BIOS F11c for the board, which uses Intel's newer AHCI 1.20 driver.

Does anyone know why Chameleon can't see the second partition (it even sees the Vista drive, which is only 300G)? What about Snow Leopard?

I welcome any thoughts or options or ideas.

Thanks!

D-NYC

SnowAnd7

• Entrant
Re: 1T drive not being seen fully
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:36:43 AM »
Hello all,

I never did figure out the problem with this drive. So, I did the simple (but not inexpensive) thing and replaced my 1T drive with a 750G drive. Problem solved. Boots into Chameleon, and thence to Vista x64 and Win 7 x64 (each on their own 750G drives) or SL.

10.6.2 upgrade failed. Kernel panic at boot on SleepEnabler. Still have the 1T drive so I can boot that and remove it on the 750G. Yay for accidental foresight.

Cheers!