overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Do I need to install GRUB on my Linux hd when using Chameleon?  (Read 3554 times)

blast9999

• Observer
I have a second hdd that has W7 and plan to install Linux on the W7 hdd too. When installing Linux do I still need to install the GRUB bootloader, or will Chameleon still be able to boot Linux without it?

BladeRunner

Re: Do I need to install GRUB on my Linux hd when using Chameleon?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
You will need grub installed in the boot sector of the linux root partition.
Base system: HP Pavilion P6340f Desktop  Intel� Core2Quad�  CPU: Speed: 2.66 GHz   Package: Socket 775 LGA:  L2 Cache 2 x 2048 KB  RAM : 8.0 GB:  DDR3

Disks : 2 eSATA @ 2 TB (hardware raid 1), NAS 4 x 2 TB raid 5 Display : 21" Samsung on EVGA GeForce 9400 GT - PCIe - 1900x1080  Keyboard/mouse :  USB connected  OS Version : 10.6.0 from retail DVD + SW update to 10.6.5 - Kernel:  Vanilla mach_kernel

Windows04

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »
I want Ubuntu and Mac os X on the same disk (Mac OS X and chameleon is already installed) AND I want to use the chameleon bootloader...

So if i understand that, in the partition manager of the Ubuntu installer, I make two new partitions on that drive (Ubuntu, ext3 and swap). Then, on the last step, i select advanced, I select "installer bootloader" and then in the list i select the ubuntu partition (sda3 for example or another number)... And then Chameleon recognises it... Am I correct?

BladeRunner

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
The short answer is a qualified - yes.  My only concern would be the creation of the two extra partitions.  You might wish to do the following: 1) make sure you have a current TimeMachine or other backup of your current OSX system before doing anything else; 2) use Disk Utility to add the extra partitions and then just re-format them in the Linux install process.

good luck!
Base system: HP Pavilion P6340f Desktop  Intel� Core2Quad�  CPU: Speed: 2.66 GHz   Package: Socket 775 LGA:  L2 Cache 2 x 2048 KB  RAM : 8.0 GB:  DDR3

Disks : 2 eSATA @ 2 TB (hardware raid 1), NAS 4 x 2 TB raid 5 Display : 21" Samsung on EVGA GeForce 9400 GT - PCIe - 1900x1080  Keyboard/mouse :  USB connected  OS Version : 10.6.0 from retail DVD + SW update to 10.6.5 - Kernel:  Vanilla mach_kernel

Windows04

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »
Well, i just installed ubuntu on my macintosh drive ;). I wanted to create those partitions in Disk Utility, but it had some problems doing that (maybe because it's live partitioning?). But, no problem, i created the ext3 and swap partition with the partition editor on the live CD. Just be careful and know what the program is going to do exactly before you hit apply ;). But i now have a nice multiboot of different hackintoshes (my primary and my "Test Mac), Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 :D.

BladeRunner

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
Congrats.  I am curious about one thing though.  I have used disk utility to shrink and add partitions without a problem.  But, that only works on a GPT partitioned drive.  Was your drive partitioned MBR or GPT?  I need to know because I hate giving bad advice :(

Windows04

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »
My drive was a GPT drive... strange :s. But maybe it was because I was doing a live format? I haven't tested to partition my other GPT drive (My Time Machine drive) when it isn't mounted...