overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Cannot Default Boot into XP -- hd(0,1)  (Read 2368 times)

texaseric

• Entrant
Cannot Default Boot into XP -- hd(0,1)
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:18:56 AM »
I need some assistance with 2.0-RC3 and default booting...

I have a hackintosh with one internal drive (MBR) and three partitions:
Partition 1: NTFS with Windows XP
Partition 2: SL 10.6
Partition 3: FAT - Shared space for both partitions

Both the XP and SL partitions boot perfectly.  Currently, the SL partitions is the default.  For some reason, I cannot get it to default boot the XP partition.

I have tried setting 'Default Partition' to hd(0,1) with no luck.  I made the change to both the /Extras and /Library/Preferences/System Configuration Boot.plist files.  Other changes to the Boot.plist file have taken with no problems.

When I enter 'rd=disk0s2' at boot, I load into SL with no problems.  When I enter 'rd=disk0s1' at boot, it starts something and gives me repetitive error=19 messages until I hard power-down.

I tried reinstalling and putting the SL partition first (disk0s1) and XP second (disk0s2), but that only makes it worse.  In that situation, I still cannot get XP to default boot and every time I try to start XP I get the NTLDR file missing error.

Any suggestions?  Thoughts?

Thanks,
TE
Anyone have any suggestions?

texaseric

• Entrant
Re: Cannot Default Boot into XP -- hd(0,1)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »
I did it, but I am not sure exactly how or why...

1. I first did a fresh install of SL, the myHack version to be specific.

2. I made three partitions, just as I did above.

3. After that completed, I did a fresh install of XP onto the first partition (after a quick-format of NTFS).  This set the first partition as the active boot partition.

4. I rebooted with my install disk and, using Chameleon, at the prompt, handed the boot off into the SL load on my second partition.

5. I then changed my active partition from XP to SL.  This took a few steps:  First, I went into /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility and 'Enable Root User' from the Edit Menu.  Then I opened up a terminal window and did a fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0.  This enabled me to view the partition table and then 'flag 2' to make SL the active boot partition.  Saved that and quit terminal.

6. Modified my com.apple.Boot.plist files to include the standard:
    <key>Default Partition</key>
    <string>hd(0,1)</string>

Since I was not sure which would be used, I did this to both the /Extras and the /Library/Preferences/System Configurations files.

7.  Rebooted, and all worked fine...

So, I am not sure what I did wrong to begin, but I think it helped that I loaded XP second and then flipped the active boot partition.  Heck, I really dunno, but it works!

Hope this helps someone...

TE