Author Topic: DVD Drive Support? - Chameleon RC3-r658 on USB Flash Drive  (Read 4428 times)

IanT

• Entrant
DVD Drive Support? - Chameleon RC3-r658 on USB Flash Drive
« on: November 10, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
I've been trying to track down more information on why an installation of Chameleon RC3-r658 to a USB flash drive won't detect a CD/DVD disc when it's in the drive, or perhaps even detect a DVD drive altogether.

I've noticed a ton of guides saying to restore a DVD to a hard disk or even the USB flash drive itself, but never anything about booting a DVD from a USB flash drive with Chameleon RC3-r658.

I've partitioned the USB flash drive as GPT and has been formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I am using Netkas' PC EFI v10.5.

Does anyone have any idea as to why RC3 on USB + CD/DVD detection does not work?

Thanks!

Peace,

IanT

PS.  I have also tried Netkas' PC EFI v10.2 beta with the CD/DVD driver, and it doesn't work -- afaik.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:38:03 AM by IanT »

zef

• Administrator
Re: DVD Drive Support? - Chameleon RC3-r658 on USB Flash Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Does anyone have any idea as to why RC3 on USB + CD/DVD detection does not work?

Hi IanT,

At the moment the booter relies on BIOS functions for accessing block devices, and for this reason the booter only can detect the DVD drive if you boot from that drive as well. That's why we implemented the media rescan option
to able to swap your booter disc to the retail media.

Bye,
zef
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

IanT

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
zef,

thank you for the answer!

:)

Best regards,

IanT

gordonf

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »
That's why we implemented the media rescan option to able to swap your booter disc to the retail media
Say, when was this introduced?  I thought a major Chameleon stumbling block was not being able to recognize removable media.

Or is it just a matter of booting Chameleon to its prompt and then invoking media rescan?

I've followed the efforts of installing Chameleon on an empty PC using Windows boot media, Linux boot media, Parted Magic or other non-Mac methods with considerable interest, leading up to being able to install to a blank PC just from installation media.

the booter only can detect the DVD drive if you boot from that drive as well
Oh right. This was why; it still relies on the BIOS to expose those devices and most BIOSes don't expose a CD or DVD device unless it starts an OS from one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:06:08 PM by gordonf »