overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Default boot no longer work  (Read 15800 times)

komeng

• Entrant
Default boot no longer work
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »
I just installed the chameleon 2.0RC1 using the installer package, everything seems nice now. Thanks for the great effort to the team.

After a few rebooting trials, I noticed that the default boot (OSX) after the timeout no longer working, it keep re-starting to the chameleon boot screen ( default-OSX with timer counting down), if I do nothing or do press any key.

So by pressing any key or F8, to the chameleon multiple boot options and choosing my vista or OSX boot, is the only way to go  for me now.

Any help/ideas?

zhell

Re: Default boot no longer work
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »
By fassl: http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20rc1-is-out#c000866
For default boot partition add this to com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

whereas x is your hdd number and y is your partition number (you will get this info in Disk Utility and in Terminal with: diskutil list)

x is very likely 0 if it's the same disk as that on which Chameleon is installed.

phoenix789

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »
hi,

i've also a lot of problem with the default boot partition, even if i made this changes in the Extra folder:

For default boot partition add this to com.apple.Boot.plist

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

I still get the default partition as the boot flagged partition, in my case (hd0,1) nfts windows vista. Does anyone knows why the changes don't apply? I've copy the com.apple.Boot.list to the desktop to be able to write in and then deleted the old one in the Extra folder, and drag in the modified com.apple.Boot.list, repair permissions, and nothing changes.

Any ideas?

zhell

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »
Could be that you have another plist in /L/P/SC, which Chameleon would prefer over the one in /Extra.

Go to terminal and type
find /Volumes/<boot volume> -name "com.apple.Boot.plist"

And please stop this "Repair permissions" thing. It does not do anything on the boot volume. Learn to use chmod and chown.

phoenix789

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »
Thanks zhell for your answer, and indeed there was another Boot.plist in the SystemConfiguration folder that i have replaced with the one in the Extra folder, so i have in the two files this configuration:

<key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <string>hd(0,3)</string>
   <key>Theme</key>
   <string>Default</string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>5</string>

And still nothing changes, i keep searching but i am clueless, do you have any other ideas? Please and thanks.

vultu

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
Im having the same problem, I already try with HD(0,1) or HD(1,1) or HD(1,2) and etc...

This problem just happen when I install Chameleon directly in EFI partition if I install normally and after install in EFI partition then the option Default Partition HD(X,Y) works correctly.

My config:

Disk0 HD with 3 NTFS partition
Disk1 HD with EFI partition, MacOS and Docz (all HFS partition)

PS.: sorry abou my bad english

[]s
Vultu
Curitiba - PR - Brasil

zhell

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
I'm sorry, then I don't know what the problem could be. If you want the default to be Leopard, you have two other options using the Kernel Flags: Either "rd=..." or "boot-uuid=<UUID of leopard partition". However, if another OS should be the default, I think the "Default Partition" is the only way of accomplishing it.

I assume you have already verified that your com.apple.Boot.plist is indeed loaded by Chameleon? Just add "-v" to the "Kernel Flags" in your file and see if that has the effect of booting verbose.

Good luck!

chagani

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »
I can confirm that even I have the same problem. The key "Default Partition" in Boot.plist is ignored. I have verified that it is using the Boot.plist in the Extra/ folder and not L/P/SC folder.

This problem just happen when I install Chameleon directly in EFI partition if I install normally and after install in EFI partition then the option Default Partition HD(X,Y) works correctly.

What do you mean it works when you "install normally" and then "after install in EFI" exactly? Can you post the steps you followed? I installed Chameleon manually (i.e. not using the installer package)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chagani

18seven

• Observer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »
Default boot option does not work without a timeout option, including timeout=0. Also, Cham2 will consider the volume it boots from disk0, i.e an external test volume, contrary to diskutil list.

chagani

• Entrant
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
I realized that Chameleon uses hd0 as its boot volume rather than follow the diskutil list. I have included my current Boot.plist file contents below. I have also verified that Chameleon boots uses this file and not the one in the original OSX folder:

Code: [Select]
        <key>Kernel</key>
        <string>mach_kernel</string>
        <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>-v</string>
        <key>Default Partition</key
        <string>hd(0,2)</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <string>5</string>
        <key>Quiet Boot</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>USBBusFix</key>
        <string>Yes</string>

But it still selects the last HDD, in my case hd(3,1) as default.

Regards,

Hassnain

chagani

• Entrant
SOLVED - For me: Default boot no longer work
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »
Nevermind. I feel like an idiot! ::) After I made my previous post, I checked my Boot.plist file again and found that the I had a missing ">" in "Default Partition" node (see previous post).

Its working as expected now!

Regards,

Hassnain Chagani

18seven

• Observer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:28 AM »
Additionally, it should be noted for those whom do not want a timeout the Quiet Boot=Yes option can be used. (GUI timeout could use some GD love, maybe a cog with a centered numerical countdown. Maybe I'll work on that...)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:09:45 AM by 18seven »

zhell

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »
Sounds great!