Author Topic: General Noob Questions  (Read 31266 times)

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Chameleon does not want boot from USB Stick, need help please
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
Hi parcival

I understand that English is not your native language but please Rule, FAQ + edit your question.

I don't know of anyone here with a crystal ball
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

myhobby

• Entrant
Boot-issue
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently running 10.6.2 but don't know how I did get there ;-) I'm trying to install a fresh copy on a 1.5TB samsung (in combination with Ex58-UD5, 6GB, HD4870). My running OSX helps me with all the tools, but I can not get past the point of making an active Chameleon RC4 HDD disk (for the last 3 days...)

I got a bootable disk by using EFI, but I want to have it working with Chameleon. Using the standard manual does not result in the desired end product ;-)

My HDD is partitioned (Case sensitive Journalized) within OSX. (linux naming convention). My basis is this tutorial (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097). Everything is fine except the booting part. Manual copying of RC3/4 found on this site don't result in the desired solution.

What's the best next step ?

Thanks for ANY useful help

dcalfine

• Entrant
Failed installation? Chameleon not doing anything on EEE 901…
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
I've been very careful to follow the Chameleon installation instructions, but I just can't get this to do what it's supposed to do. I've tried installing it with the flash drive partition table as GUID and as MBR and get the same result for both: after i finish installing everything in the terminal, a file called "boot" is clearly on the flash drive, so I eject it and plug it into the eee 901, in which it does nothing. The computer sees that the Cruzer is plugged in but does not see anything on it to boot from. Interestingly, when I plug the flash drive back into my Mac, I'm told it's unreadable and needs to be initialized.

Any help would very much be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kMike

• Entrant
wrong Speed at Q9300
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
Hello,
i have an Q9300 and the fsb, stepping, multiplier and so on is wrong.
it should be at 2.5Ghz but its running at 3Ghz.
Any chance to redetect the right values to get the right CPU speed ?

i have searched but didnt find an fix.

My System:
SnowLeopard 10.6.2 using Vanilla Kernel@64bit
Chameleon 2.0 RC4
Intel Q9300
Intel DP43TF
Geforce GTS 250 Graphics
8GB Ram

thx a lot

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: General Noob Questions
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
set FSB and CPU clocks in /Extra/smbios.plist.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,85

@myhobby: don't format as case-sensitive, it brings nothing but trouble.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:31:30 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

rallywoman2

• Entrant
Booting from USB-Drive not working anymore
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
I installed OSX on my MSI Wind with Chameloen RC4, WinXP still there. I thought it worked fine until I tried to boot from my USB-DVD by pressing F11 and selecting the DVDdrive, when the Chameleon Bootloader appears again and no option for a boot from the optical drive. So I even can not install anything now. Anybody knows how to fix it? I deleted the OSX partition, beause I wanted to make a clean install of SL anyhow. The Chameloen stuff is on an USB-HDD by the way.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
Re: Booting from USB-Drive not working anymore
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
There is nothing to fix. When installed to HDD, Chameleon cannot boot from optical drives.

You need to make a Chameleon boot CD to be able to boot from an optical drive.

Guide:
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

You can install retail without a boot CD if you use Apple Disk Utility to 'restore' the contents of the retail DVD to a hard drive partition. Then use Chameleon (installed to your HDD) to boot the installer.

Of course you would need a working OS X installation to do that. As long as it is compatible with your hardware, any nasty old hackintosh distro DVD will work for this purpose.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:56:02 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

GFX

• Entrant
Leopard and Snow Leopard Dual Boot?
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
I have 10.5.8 running on my second partition. On the first one, I used to have Vista, which I deleted later.
I would like to know if there is a way to install Snow Leopard on the first partition and boot with the Chameleon on the Leopard partition.

In other words, assuming I installed all the necessaray kexts for snow leopard, would I be able to boot it with the chameleon, which is installed on my Leopard installation.

I am also thinking about deleting the chameleon on leopard partition (I don't know how to tough) and installed it on the Snow Leopard partiton.

I am aware of the feature that Chemeleon supports Osx specific Extra folder;yet, what is the best pratice in my case.

Thanks,

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
best practice would be a separate (small) partition just for Chameleon or the EFI solution

GFX

• Entrant
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »
Then, if I am to install Chameleon on a separate partition, which I've already learned how to do it, could you tell me how I can remove Chameleon on my existing Leopard partition.

Should I delete boot1h and boot0 under usr/standalone/i386 and then install these files on their required partitions. I know I should leave 'boot' file in its location.

In short, what are the files that I have to remove prior to moving Chameleon to a new partition. Lastly, I have MBR formatted harddisk, this wouldn't cause any problem, right?

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 03:57:36 AM »
How to...

Bouffski

• Entrant
  • Still learning to Fly...
Re: General Noob Questions: first (baby)steps...
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
First of all thank you for having this board! As a real Newbie from OuterSpace, I made some investigations for building a Hackintosh, but I completely got lost in the jungle called 'building your own Hackintosh...'
I'm sure that this won't happen here!
Then my simple question(s): generally speaking,  I have a new built computer with 1 HD, 1 partition with Win7 working. I would like to have 2 partitions, one with OS X SL, and the other, for Mrs Bouffski, with Win7. I know how to partition (Parted Magic or a free partition manager). Also it would be no problem to reinstall Win7 if needed, 'cause no data on it yet.
What would be my next step? More specific: what format do I need on the second partition? And do I need a third partition for Chameleon?
I promise to reread your FAQ's, but maybe someone will answer me...
Cheers

Mini-ITX Intel D945GCLF2 MoBo (Atom330 dual core CPU) 2 GB RAM 320 GB HDD MacMini @2GHz 4GB, 160 GB /w BootCamp SnowLeo 10.6.2 & Win7

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »
Firrst of all i dig your Vonnegut sig :), please remember to update it with your computer's specs.

About your hack:

MacOS X will need an HFS+ Journaled partition, formatting can be done from booting into the MacOS X retail DVD via DiskUtility.

Before we go on about "if you need a 3rd partition or not", do you have any experience with an OS other than Windows?

If it's not much hassle ($ or otherwise) a 2nd HD could come handy, to save Mrs Bouffski some technical headaches in case things go wrong.

Make sure to check the basics here, most of your questions are already answered

Bouffski

• Entrant
  • Still learning to Fly...
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »
@rocksteady... Thanks for your quick reply!
On your questions: yes I have some experience, from Windose 2.0 via 3.11 (WfW) to "Se7en"; but almost got insane from this OS. In the last millenium Apple OS 8.2 Classic, crossed my path, and stole my heart...
Furthermore I installed Suse Linux and Mandriva on a PC years ago  and recently Ubuntu on a VM driven by OS X (piece-of-cake with VMWare on SnowLeopard)...
Your remark about a second HDD would be the best solution, but I built a PC with a mini-ITX case with a Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard and an Atom330 dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM (max), 320 GB HDD, without DVD (yet)... There is no more space inside the case for whatever piece of hardware...  Except a slimline (Sony) DVD burner...
I used a bootable USB-stick to install Win7... So that is (for the moment) a further handicap... Ergo I have to deal with 1 HDD, but I learned Mrs. Bouffski to backup all her data on my FTP-server on the Internet, so that hurdle has been taken... :)
As I promised, I will do my homework (tomorrow), now I need some sleep!
Cheers & thanx again 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:47:26 AM by Bouffski »

Mini-ITX Intel D945GCLF2 MoBo (Atom330 dual core CPU) 2 GB RAM 320 GB HDD MacMini @2GHz 4GB, 160 GB /w BootCamp SnowLeo 10.6.2 & Win7

grc

• Entrant
Re: General Noob Questions - Locations of Boot and Extra
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
Hello and thanks for the great work.

I have currently, a USB Card with 10.6 installer on it, and a chameleon install with boot and Extra. When my PC starts from this USB, I can use it to install 10.6 on to a hard drive parition. I can also use the USB card to boot that hard drive partition once it's installed.

I have some silly questions :

1) boot and Extra are on my USB Card. If I put a boot and Extra on to the hard drive parition, will they be used instead?

2) On the USB Card, boot and Extra/Extensions are for 10.6.[0] they won't work with 10.6.2. If I install 10.6 and then upgrade it, I can't boot it from my USB Card because it panics. I can upgrade the Sleepenabler.kext on my USB Card to the 10.6.2 version, then I can boot the installed 10.6.2, but I can no longer boot the installer. What is the way around this?  I want always to be able to boot the installer from the USB Card (so it needs 10.6.[0] kexts) but I also want to be able to use it to boot any 10.6.2 installations I have. Is this answered by question 1?

I'm just trying to understand better how the chameleon boot sequence runs.

Thanks a lot

Gary