Author Topic: General Noob Questions  (Read 31184 times)

kbear

• Observer
Re: General Noob Questions
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »
No idea what happens on the Windows side (I'm lucky enough to not have to use that thing at all)
You don't know how lucky you are (or maybe you do). Most of my writing assignments are Windows-focused, and I have to use Windows (and by use, I don't mean just run Office once in a while, I mean actually use) almost every day. I really feel relieved when I can boot my Mac Pro back to the OS X partition...

If you decide to use r0m30's ideas/techniques, please take any further discussion @ his dedicated thread.

Will do.  :)

Davegti20

• Entrant
How to use Chameleon
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »
Hi there,

I have followed a fair few guides on installing this and know it can be done but havnt had any luck so far. I tried following your guide with a retail dvd of snow leopard and chameleon 2 rc3 but was stopped at the point where i need to make changes in the Efi partition as i am still fairly new to os x so would grately appreciate some help if possible.

Im using a V5535 with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Dual Core Mobile Socket P 2.17ghz
Memory: 4gb ddr 2 667mhz
Chipset:  SIS M672
Graphics: SiS Mirage 3+, Grateful for any help if possible...  Dave

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
1) I've moved your post here - don't ask for help in the Feature Requests sub forum

2) When asking for help, try to describe the issue you're having as clearly as possible. You will most likely not get any help if people have to guess what your issue is.

3) If you'd read the FAQ you would have found this:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649.0.html

If you follow that, and tell me exactly at which point you're stuck, I can help you.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:29:47 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

kbear

• Observer
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Hi guys, some new questions. (actually only one for now  :) - this is unrelated to r0m30's technique, so I post it here)

Just found out how to generate the chameleon boot cd without Mac OSx - surprisingly simple:

sorry for the noise, this is not working.[/size]

simple reason: standard cd iso9xxx does not support funky filenames. oddly enough, the cd looks fine when mounted in linux, but it is not when booted. the preboot image is mandatory.

this means com.apple.Boot.plist turns into com~~1 something, and will not be used. one could specify all chameleon options at boot prompt, but the same problem applies for kexts...
kind of defeats the whole idea.
OK, I did some tests on this subject, and I concluded that:
a) outragedtony is right about creating a Bootable CD from Windows. I tried several combinations, and Chemeleon boots, but ignores com.apple.Boot.plist and all kexts. So it's basically useless.
b) there's no way of creating an HFS Chameleon CD and the necessary preboot.dmg without using Mac OS X. (If there is, I haven't found it).

So I'm back to creating a boot USB stick that can boot the retail Mac OS X DVD using parts of r0m30's PDF recipe.

However, reading Chameleon's documentation, I came across this:
boot1h - partition booter for HFS+ that loads the stage2 booter
boot1f32 - booter for FAT32 partitions on MBR
which seems to suggest that if I used boot1f32 instead of boot1h, I could create a bootable Chameleon USB Stick using a FAT32 partition that would be readable from Windows.

This is much better than using an HFS+ partition, because it allows me to to edit its contents (i.e. make changes to the kexts) directly from Windows without having to use PartedMagic.

So I formated my USB stick to MBR/FAT32, and I tried to install boot1f32 using this command (after I CD'd to the i386 directory of course):

Code: [Select]
dd if=boot1f32 of=/dev/rdisk3s1
However, all this did was to make the FAT32 partition unreadable. I tried this from both PartedMagic and the Mac OS X terminal, and got the same result.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what I did wrong.  ???

P.S. I figured out a backup plan: install the Snow Leopard bootcamp drivers on Windows. The new version 3.0 includes HFS read/write capability, so I could create an HFS Chameleon USB stick, and still be able to edit if from Windows. However, I'd prefer not to have to install the bootcamp drivers if I could avoid it with the boot1f32 trick.
P.S2. Unfortunately, it turns out that the Snow Leopard bootcamp drivers for Windows only include HFS reading capability.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:18:16 AM by kbear »

betty02

• Observer
Newbie - Few Questions
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
Got a Vista laptop a while ago (Lenovo R61) and i soon got rid of that crap and installed Win7, runs great on it, now i am wanting to install Mac (i know you don't support this kind of info) on a partition i will create and want it to be fully functioning Leopard.

Now my questions is

Will i be able to run Chameleon?
Will i have to install Leopard first then install this or can it go on windows?
Is there a way to bypass the crappy windows text boot loaded and go straight to this?

Sorry if these have been posted i did have a quick scan.

Apppreciated
Simon

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Newbie - Few Questions
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
Hi Simon

I recommend you try a retail install of OS X and for that you will find many guides on other forums, or you might try r0m30's guide here. Once you have OS X installed, Chameleon will install easily and you will be able to boot OS X or Windows7 from it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:03:36 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

betty02

• Observer
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
Excellent, will this be able to get rid of the crappy Windows text boot manager? or will i have to get into that first?

I have a retail version of OS X so will try tonight. Much appreciated!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
Excellent, will this be able to get rid of the crappy Windows text boot manager? or will i have to get into that first?
Yes, Chameleon can be the default bootloader.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

betty02

• Observer
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2010, 12:39:54 PM »
Excellent, can't wait to get going with this now :D