overdue-scratch

Author Topic: General Noob Questions  (Read 31187 times)

7thk

• Entrant
Re: General Noob Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »
YES YES YES FRAK YES!

The problem WAS my motherboard's usb thing ness. I went ahead and bought Mac OS X today, they didn't have the single user one so I got the family pack but yeah, installed it, patched my DSDT, everything's beautiful.

All that's left is the easy stuff, network, audio, EFI String & sleep.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 06:48:13 AM »
welcome 7thk: beginning of a great adventure

keep your positiveness/enthusiasm (most people miss the fun part these days)
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

7thk

• Entrant
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 08:00:29 AM »
Thanks!  ;D

Just wrapping up my install here, I got audio working with the latest VoodooHDA (0.2.2) - it's Intel/IDT Audio - mixer & speakers are fine, SPDIF is iffy but I think I'm asking for too much  with SPDIF right now. I skipped EFI String for now and went with GraphicsEnabler/y, which works just fine with RC4 + 9500GT 1GB. Networking was a simple kext, Intel82566MM.kext. I'm using VoodooPowerMini for speedstep.

All that's left is Sleep, which is proving to be an issue, but hey, I really can't complain. Maybe when I get the itch, I'll try experimenting with DSDT, but I couldn't be more happier with how things have worked out.

Man oh man, I'd forgotten just how awesome iStat Menu is (I had a trio of macs a couple of years ago).

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
Nice style 7thk :)

You'll find a good starting point for editing DSDT, over @ insanelymac (thread about p5k pro) by Master Chief. His oldskool commenting habits rock.

Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

BasementJack

• Entrant
<key>Default Partition</key> need help understanding the values
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
I'd like to understand the values to be used with the 'Default Partition' key

diskutil list shows:
/dev/disk0:
 0: GUID_Part....
 1: EFI
 2: Apple_HFS my Hackintosh HD (disk0s2)
/dev/disk1:
 0:  GUID_P...
 1.. EFI
 2: Apple_HFD HackintoshInstallDVD (disk1s2)

Do these values map directly to the Default Partition key or is there more I need to take into account?

Chameleon presently defaults to disk1s2, I'd like it to default to disk0s2. I've read that Chameleon defaults to the first partition on the first disk, so there must be something here I don't yet understand about the boot process and the order of the devices.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

- Jack

<key>Default Partition</key>
C2D E8400 - Asus P5Q Deluxe w/standard bios

BasementJack

• Entrant
The role of /Extra/Extensions and kext's ?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 05:53:54 AM »
Within Chameleon, I see that there's an /Extra/Extensions folder -
I'd like to add support for my Audio Device, an AD2000B & I've found a kext for it.
Is dropping the kext in this folder all thats needed?
I've also seen things like the kext helper and am wondering what is the difference between two approaches.

Thanks,

- Jack

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »
This is covered in the FAQ and documentation, as is your previous question.

The syntax for 'Default Partition' is hd(drivenumber,partitionnumber).

Kernel Extensions go in /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions.mkext.

You can use Kext Utility from applelife.ru to build the mkext or you can do it yourself from the command line.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:59:47 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

7thk

• Entrant
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
Nice style 7thk :)

You'll find a good starting point for editing DSDT, over @ insanelymac (thread about p5k pro) by Master Chief. His oldskool commenting habits rock.

Sweet, I'll look in that. Thanks again! Also, I got SPDIF working, no 5.1 passthrough but then there's almost no way to get that on a Mac, so hey. :)

BasementJack

• Entrant
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Thanks Gringo,

I had tried Default Partition hd(1,2) but got a Kernel panic.  Is the numbering is off between what Diskutil -list shows and what Chameleon is looking for?  Ie is it possible that disk1s2 is really hd(2,3)?

----------

As for the kext, when I drop them into the /Extra/Extensions folder - does Chameleon present that to the OS as if it were coming from the /Library/Extensions folder?

The FAQ makes it sound as if I only need the kexts or the mkext, but not both - is that right?

Thanks for pointing me to applelife.ru, I'll check them out and seek a FAQ on the kext utility.

Thanks again Gringo this as well as many of your other posts have been extremely helpful in getting me to the point I am at right now!

- Jack

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »
You're welcome, I'm glad you find my posts useful.

Is the numbering is off between what Diskutil -list shows and what Chameleon is looking for?

The drive number that goes in Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist seems to be relative to the drive that Chameleon is installed on. But I've never tried using Chameleon on one drive to boot OS X on another, physical drive. I don't know what would happen then.

The order the drives are plugged in and the order your BIOS is set to boot from them doesn't seem to be as important to Chameleon in regards to what it sees as the first drive, as where Chameleon is actually installed.
If you consider this for a while it seems like bad behavior for a boot loader - but since Chameleon is also kind of a BIOS replacement (well, EFI replacement) I think it makes some sense.

On my system, physically, the first drive (SATA port 1 and drive 1 in the BIOS) is actually my Windows drive.
I use the BIOS' built-in boot selector (F8) to pick my second hard drive whenever I want to boot OSX.
From then on in, according to Chameleon and Disk Utility, this drive becomes the first drive. So I use hd(0,2) in com.apple.Boot.plist. 0,1 is the EFI partition, where Chameleon is installed and 0,2 is my Snow Leopard installation.

I've sometimes seen Disk Utility getting confused and seeing my OSX drive as the second disk though (which, in all fairness, it is). But Chameleon always auto-boots with hd(0,1) no matter what Disk Utility says once the system is running.

As for the kext, when I drop them into the /Extra/Extensions folder - does Chameleon present that to the OS as if it were coming from the /Library/Extensions folder?

It's irrelevant. You could load a kext from your desktop if you wanted to. Extra/Extensions just happens to be where Chameleon looks for them.

The FAQ makes it sound as if I only need the kexts or the mkext, but not both - is that right?

I've found that some kexts will only work when loaded from the .mkext, some won't. I keep both an mkext and an extensions folder, it doesn't seem to cause any problems with particular set of kernel extensions I'm using and this way I don't have to think about it.

As for Kext Utility, just drag and drop your /Extra/Extensions folder on its icon and it will create an mkext for you in the Extra folder. Don't use it to fix kext permissions in S/L/E though (it does that automatically if you run it by itself) because it sets the wrong permissions.

If you can't find it at applelife.ru, visit insanelymac and search for user cvad, there's a download link to it in his signature.

"...and the music keeps on playing on and on.."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:16:27 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

BasementJack

• Entrant
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »
Thanks Gringo!

It helped a ton knowing that yours was hd(x,2)
I must have had a typo - I know I tried hd(1,2) before, but it hadn't been working mine ended up being hd(1,2)

I've been reading up on the DSDT stuff you pointed me to - So far I've already benefited as iStatMenu now shows CPU temps - so an extra thank you for that!

My next task is to get Audio working, hopefully via the DSDT.
Thanks again!

BasementJack

• Entrant
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »
Gringo,

I've tried dumping the DSDT from Ubuntu 9.1 and it does not have an audio section.
  Do you have any suggestions on what to do next?

- Jack

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, 04:41:33 AM »
Sure.

Visit the "[HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA" thread over at the Project OSX forums (sorry, can't link it's against the rules) and use the DSDT HDEF patch provided by THe KiNG and the AD2000B.kext patched by Phoenix Wright (see page two - but read the whole thread and learn cool stuff).

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:14:46 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...

BasementJack

• Entrant
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »
Thanks Gringo - hopefully I can learn something from those (almost) links!

parcival39

• Entrant
Chameleon does not want boot from USB Stick, need help please
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
Hi all,
All the same whether with installer or with hand, i do not have a success.
Which i make wrong, formatting etc.  ???
If i copy an image (dmg) BootThing on USB Stick, it works.

Does someone have an idea?
Thank you for each assistance.

parcival