overdue-scratch

Author Topic: AMD Phenom II Build - is it compatible with a Chameleon Hackintosh?  (Read 7026 times)

Zeldaknight

• Entrant
Hi guys,
I'm buying a new PC and I'd like to put Hackintosh on it (and Chameleon looks like THE AWESOMEST bootloader ever :D ). However, I can't seem to find much of a list of hardware that is compatible with Chameleon/OSx86 (or should any hardware be fine?)
Anyway, I've posted my current thinking. Does anyone know of any serious issues with any of the hardware (or just have a recommendation)?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4Ghz) Black Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
Memory: Corsair 2GB PC10600 DDR3
Video Card: EVGA nVidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB PCI-Express
DVD: Samsung SH-S223B 22x SATA DVD-Writer
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 640GB
Case: Silverstone SUGO SG02-F Mini-Tower Case
Power Supply Unit: Vantec ION2 Plus 500W (or 600W?) ATX

Please don't try to talk me out of getting an AMD CPU, because I can get this one for about the same as a 2.66GHz Core 2 Quad.

Thanks!  ;)

s0nykus

• Observer
  • Coders know all the right MOV-s! ;)
Re: AMD Phenom II Build - is it compatible with a Chameleon Hackintosh?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
For every new kernel that comes out, you will need kernel patches and mods to support AMD. That said, you'll never be able to use a clean ("vanilla") fresh install without always having to add the AMD hacks first. Currently, AFAIK, there's no Mac hardware that uses AMD processors (correct me if I'm wrong), so if you want a system that closely emulates a real Mac, you'd be much better off with an Intel Core 2 Quad on an Intel-based Gigabyte board.

You'd even find readily made custom DSDTs and BIOS patches for Gigabyte boards over here:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=38

Still, I understand your initial point, and I won't talk you off from buying AMD. It's your personal choice, even though you're making your life a lot harder. More work and hassle, more waiting for the right mods to come out (after every kernel update), a higher risk of incompatibile mods, more chances to fail, but hell, why not, it's a challenge! :) It should be doable, and the rest of your hardware looks quite allrighty.

My desktop system is AMD + nForce + nVidia, but I didn't dare trying to convert it to a h*ckintosh yet. Instead, I did it with my Core 2 Duo laptop, which is a highly similar in specs to some MacBook Pros. And as such, it works pretty nicely as a Hac. Good luck, and don't forget to come back with your results! I'm curious on how it turns out, eventually.
Dell Latitude D830
BIOS A14
Core2 Duo T9500 Penryn 2.6GHz
Intel PM965, 82801HBM (ICH8-ME)
4GB Hyundai PC2-5300 nVidia Quadro NVS 140M Broadcom BCM5755M Gbit (32bit drv) Wi-Fi Intel 4965 AGN (no drv) USB Wi-Fi Canyon CNP-WF518 (32bit drv) Triple boot SL 10.6.2/Ubuntu 9.10/Win7 x64