overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Dual boot with Chameleon on 2 sepaprate harddrives  (Read 2698 times)

robi40

• Entrant
Dual boot with Chameleon on 2 sepaprate harddrives
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:23 AM »
I'm trying to setup dual boot system with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, I have 2 harddrives but I can only boot from the first drive (It's a HP DV7 laptop with 2 hdd bay, but BIOS only boots off the first drive)
I have Windows 7 on the first boot drive with MBR and Snow Leopard with GUID on the second drive.
How do I setup Chameleon to do the dual boot?

Here is what i tried so far:
- Install Chameleon On the SL drive, but  i can boot from that drive
- Try to install chameleon on the windows drive, but that destroys the master boot record

Any help would be appriciated!

s0nykus

• Observer
  • Coders know all the right MOV-s! ;)
Re: Dual boot with Chameleon on 2 sepaprate harddrives
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »
Hey robi40,

You need to fix your Win 7 bootloader as described here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165899

(look at paragraphs 5 to 7)

At step 7, you can reinstall Chameleon, and (after setting your Win partition to non-active) your Win will boot via Chameleon, and it won't complain anymore.

There are also some Chameleon options that might come in handy, like:

"Scan Single Drive"=No
(I'm not sure what the default value is for this one, but you can try playing with it)

and

"Default Partition"=hd(x,y)
(In case you want to set one of your drives/partitions as default for Chameleon)

P.S.: Some tutorials you'll run across might mention the use of EasyBCD. I would NOT recommend messing with it, or more precisely, using it in conjunction with Chameleon. In my opinion, that is just one more way to mess up things up completely. Chameleon is / should be able to deal with your setup on its own.

Good luck and be patient, just try and try again, until things will work out for you, in the end.
Dell Latitude D830
BIOS A14
Core2 Duo T9500 Penryn 2.6GHz
Intel PM965, 82801HBM (ICH8-ME)
4GB Hyundai PC2-5300 nVidia Quadro NVS 140M Broadcom BCM5755M Gbit (32bit drv) Wi-Fi Intel 4965 AGN (no drv) USB Wi-Fi Canyon CNP-WF518 (32bit drv) Triple boot SL 10.6.2/Ubuntu 9.10/Win7 x64