overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Do I need to generate a /Extra/Extensions.mkext ?  (Read 14229 times)

vinnie881

• Entrant
Do I need to generate a /Extra/Extensions.mkext ?
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:46:48 AM »
If I put my kexts in /Extra/Extensions, do I still need to create a kernel cache mkext (i.e. /Extra/Extensions.mkext)?  If not, is there any benefit to doing so, I see articles where it instructs to build the kernal cash for the extensions listed in extra, but I don't see to do this in the documentation?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:09:20 PM by vinnie881 »

r0m30

• Forum Moderator
    • r0m30's OSX86 site
Re: Do I need to generate a /Extra/Extensions.mkext ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »
If I put my kexts in /Extra/Extensions, do I still need to create a kernel cache mkext
No, but you can run into prerequisite issues when loading certain kexts.

is there any benefit to doing so
You will boot faster, and the prerequisites for you override kexts should get pre-linked into the kernel

I don't see to do this in the documentation?
If you installed Chameleon in the EFI partition, you need to have it mounted and then issue this command as root.

Code: [Select]
kextcache -v 2 -t -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/
If you installed Chameleon somewhere else change the /Volumes/EFI to /Volumes/your_install_location in both places.
--- r0m30 ---
HP Mini 1033CL (Costco) OSX Retail 10.6 Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658
HP m9077c -  ASUS IPIBL-LA MoBo with Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Retail 10.6.2 Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684

vinnie881

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:01:13 AM »
Great explination!!

Would you suggest as a general rule of thumb to rebuild the kext cache for the /Extra/Extensions folder everytime you add something?

Also if I understand it, the kextcache program must be ran on a running snow leopard machine, is there any "EASY" way to build a kextcache outside of snowleopard like in linux to compile the mkext folder?  The reason I ask is it would be nice to be able to have a single flash drive that had tools on it that could be used to install vanilla on any pc w/o the use of a mac .  This is my only obstical left in having that since using chameleon as a bootloader to the retail cd seems that the mkext is required to get it to boot proper.

Again thanks for your help!

r0m30

• Forum Moderator
    • r0m30's OSX86 site
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »
Would you suggest as a general rule of thumb to rebuild the kext cache for the /Extra/Extensions folder everytime you add something?
Yes, you will need to rebuild every time you change any kexts.
... is there any "EASY" way to build a kextcache outside of snowleopard ....
I know of no way to build the kext cache outside of snow leopard.
--- r0m30 ---
HP Mini 1033CL (Costco) OSX Retail 10.6 Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658
HP m9077c -  ASUS IPIBL-LA MoBo with Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Retail 10.6.2 Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684

Infected24

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
... is there any "EASY" way to build a kextcache outside of snowleopard ....
Quote from: r0m30
I know of no way to build the kext cache outside of snow leopard.
You can build it using another SL/L Installation

Then:

kextcache -etc etc etc /Volumes/YOUR CHAMELEON BOOT PARTITION/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/YOUR SL or L Partition/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/YOUR SL or L Partition/System/Library/Extensions/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:29:03 PM by Infected24 »

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
There is a great utility named pfix, found here - http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/03/pfix-v3-0-released/, that attempts to make setting permissions and re-generating Extensions.mkext files easier. I have found that it saves me a lot of typing :)