overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Having issues booting up Mac OS  (Read 2195 times)

Eseb

• Entrant
Having issues booting up Mac OS
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »
I installed Mac OS the other day and was able to boot it up fine using the install disk.

I installed Chameleon 2 RC3, and I can boot the Mac partition with it just fine, but for some reason it stops working just as the system is supposed to start. In verbose mode it loads up all the extra kexts and stuff, it all seems okay but then when the system is meant to start nothing happens. I can type stuff in at that point but it's a bit messed up and it does nothing. It still works fine off the install disk, everything looks the same in verbose mode. 32-bit mode doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

tex777

• Entrant
Re: Having issues booting up Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:08:21 AM »
Boot it from the install disk as in an emergency boot or as in boot into the installer?

Do you see a grey loading screen?

Have you ever been able to successfully boot into the install? I take to mean you had another loader such as Chamelon 1.x installed and it was working previously.

(These questions may seem redundant, but I ask just to be clear on the issue.)

On that note, if it is an issue with the install itself you may want to be pointed to a different forum.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:10:19 AM by tex777 »

Eseb

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

The installer isn't the issue, I've already installed Mac OS. The problem is booting into the system using Chameleon.

Using the setup flash drive you can boot into whatever partition you want, including the one I use for my Mac OS install. If I try to boot into it from there it works fine. I see the loading screen with the grey background with the apple logo and then the system loads up perfectly.

If I boot straight from the hard drive drive I'm met with Chameleon, I'm offered to pick a partition from my list like on the installer's bootloader, and Chameleon starts loading my Mac system after I pick it, again with the grey loading screen, but the system never really starts up, the loading screen stays there forever.

If I boot with -v, everything loads up on Chameleon just like it does when booting from the flash drive, but on Chameleon when it reaches the point where the system is meant to switch to the GUI / load the desktop, nothing happens. It just stops working. I can type stuff in at that point but it does nothing, and keys are interpreted in a weird way. Things like arrow keys, num lock, etc actually print text.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »
Using the setup flash drive you can boot ...... and then the system loads up perfectly.
If I boot straight from the hard drive drive ...... the system never really starts up, the loading screen stays there forever.
Hi Eseb

Chameleon is doing it's job so it's not a problem with Chameleon.

You will have some files in an /Extra folder on your USB which allow your system to boot. You will need to copy those same files to the /Extra folder on your HDD.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Eseb

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Using the setup flash drive you can boot ...... and then the system loads up perfectly.
If I boot straight from the hard drive drive ...... the system never really starts up, the loading screen stays there forever.
You will have some files in an /Extra folder on your USB which allow your system to boot. You will need to copy those same files to the /Extra folder on your HDD.

That worked, thanks a lot. This has been doing my head in for about half a week :P