Author Topic: Help Polishing Install of Snow Leopard  (Read 2221 times)

Vyder19

• Entrant
Help Polishing Install of Snow Leopard
« on: July 16, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've successfully managed to install Snow Leopard on my Dell Inspiron 1420 using the iAtkos S3 v2 DVD.
I used the following options at the Mac OS X Installer:
- Bootloader > Chameleon v2 RC4
- Bootloader Options > 32-bit
                                  > Graphics Enabler
                                  > Ethernet
                                  > Legacy Logo
- Patches (Default, plus these) > RTC > 32-bit
                                                 > Sleep Enabler
- Drivers > AHCI SATA
              > Broadcom
              > Voodoo PS/2
              > Battery

I've got a few major/minor problems that I haven't managed to fix on my own.

1. How do I install a kext? I've tried dragging the kext into System>Library>Extensions and then authenticating, but that didn't work, OSX gave me some errors about it not being installed correctly. I've also tried KextInstaller, gave the same error.

2. Dell Alps Electric Trackpad - What should I be looking for to make this work? A manufacturer provided driver? or a kext made by somebody?
[The Voodoo PS/2 drivers works for my keyboard, but the trackpad behaves very randomly (one finger swipe causes random motion, right clicks, left clicks, scrolls, etc). Clearly the driver isn't the correct one, although it atleast recognizes the device (sort of) now.] Currently I have access to my room-mates USB mouse, but not always :(

3. How to patch a kext? Could you point me to some resource that teaches how to patch a kext? Or atleast what should I be looking for, etc. I wouldn't mind messing with the code itself to get a regular PS2kext working for me, if that's even possible.

4. Internet! The Airport Wireless thingamagic icon in the top bar isn't showing up at all. The Network settings isn't showing any wireless networks at all. The default installer didn't have anything for Intel wireless cards, I'm not sure how to go about this one.

5. Lastly, can someone explain to me what an EFI is responsible for in layman's terms. The wikipedia page on EFI is a bit too complicated.

Thanks,
Vyder

My level of experience:
- Mac experience only extends to using and installing dmgs. I'm still a n00b on how the internals of OSX works.
- Intermediate UNIX user, advanced Windows user.
- I'm an iPhone developer, so I know my way around Objective C and Xcode projects. So I feel fairly confident attempting kext modifications.
- I know pretty much nothing about bootloaders and EFIs
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:29:17 PM by Vyder19 »
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.00GHz
4.0GB DDR2 @ 332MHz
Motherboard: Intel PM965
GeForce 8400M
Wireless Card: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
Re: Help Polishing Install of Snow Leopard
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
This forum is about Chameleon the boot loader, when used along with a retail Mac OS X Install DVD, thanks for understanding.