overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon - Trouble with loading SL and my Biggest Mistake (Upgraded: SOLVED!)  (Read 2109 times)

fractal

• Entrant
Sorry for my English. But anyway, may be somebody help me with my problem.

Intro:

I installed Snow Leopard (10.6.2) (compile by dan1234, Universal v3.5). With this distrib contents Chameleon 2.0 RC3. All was great - I've compiled DSDT for my config, all works great: Shut Down/Restart, USB, FireWire, ALC, Video, ALL was DONE. My pleasure wasn't a limit.

This SL was installed on harddrive 2 (harddrive 1 have Win7). SL drive (as I understand) have Hidden EFI Partition - it's default - and it's right, i think. So, As i said - loader is Chameleon 2.0 RC3.

But by my error and nonsense (which I very seldom suppose). Anyway, I created big mistake i think. In ATTools Directory (where content such apps like CPU-i, EFIStudio, something else and some apps for booting (or menu - i don't know - i don't install it))

So, in this ATTools was some Chameleon (DFE) - I thought that this version is more newest (and i was wrong - sorry for my stupid brain at this moment).

Happend: Chameleon DFE Bootloader installed in SL Harddrive, but after it wants loading SL, he just freeze (Even if I try with -v and -x keys - anyway he freezes, even first lines don't shows -- just first lines of Bootloader Welcome Message and it's all.

I tried to loading from Install MacOS DVD and in install running Terminal to change something - but he saying that SL partition is Read-Only (As I also assumed).

Then I will try load, using RD key (When Install DVD shows me a few second message, before starting loading install I press F8 for command-line promt).. I know that my SL installed on DISK1S2 - and I entered for RD=DISK1S2, and after that something running from DVD (I think something loading from this DVD to help me run my MacOS.) But I catch 'Still waiting for root' (AHCI is ON!!! I know about AHCI).

I try to find solve of problem, read about Single-Mode User (that I would have some hope), read about fdisk - but I don't understand, what will END after some 'fdisk' manipulations with my SL (I don't want to lose DATA, and want that my SL will alive.

I heard (Google, but i need more info and Can be there is other way to return SL to life - may be like some Boot CD/DVD/Flash program like Another Chameleon Install or Restoring of previously Chameleon 2.0 RC3).

Sorry my stupid. I was always careful in these serious things and such miscalculations happen to me seldom. But they can happen with all and even with more professional people in this things.

Could anybody help me with this problem, or with giving link (may be this forum have answer - I don't know - this forum is BIG, really BIG).

For more information - my Hard Config:
P: Intel Core 2 Duo
MB: Gigabyte p35-DS3P (used DSDT before this mistake, and before it ALL works fine)
RAM: 2 GB
Video: GForce 8600 GTS 256 MB (working after adding STRING in boot.list - used EFIStudio)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:40:09 PM by fractal »

fractal

• Entrant
Now, I solved my problem. I think it would be better for future people who can catch this problem.

But this case have few notes:
1. I have installed Windows 7 on another HardDrive so my Win7 works in standard mode.
2. On MAC Partition i had another Chameleon (2.0) (another Chameleon is DFE but i don't know why I installed DFE - may be for experimets). So, in My SL Distrib (SL 10.6.2 by dan1234) in /Application/ATTools/_System I have 2 Chameleons - Setup from .pkg (Chameleon DFE which freeze on loading at a beginning) and Chameleon 2.0 RC3 with Install-Script. May be If you have another Chameleon-Install (and boot-files) on Windows disk, this files can halp - but who knows?!

SOLVATION:
I known about great program for work with HFS+ Partitions like TransMac. May this case is non-professional or someone else, but this program helped me and I would say THANKS for authors of this program (I think that this authors MUST having a money for its program and may be in future I would buy it) - but TRIAL of this program also works great some trial time.

So, what I done?

1. Load to Win7 and install this program
2. You need run TransMac with Admin Priveleg.
3. Before starting something actions we need goes to menu Options > Mac Settings   and in dialog check-in on flag Access Fixed ... READ/WRITE -- this option will take possible to WRITE something info from HFS+  HardDrive.
4. After this need to restart the program (with ADMIN PRIVS., don't forget)

Next actions: replace file 'boot' on / of MacHardDrive.
I found /Application/ATTools/Chameleon-2.0 dir, enter in ./i386/ and found this file (it's strange - boot-file of 2.0 ~300 kb, my broken 'boot' is ~3 KB - i don't know, may be some bug in install or else.

Anyway I get 'boot' from Chameleon 2.0 (and which was installed at first time when I install MacOS), and replace it (drop in /).

And ... it's a miracle --- Chameleon 2.0 Loader is work now.

This case only for me, but may be some guy will have this problem and maybe this accident (and solve of him) will help to somebody like me (or not like me).

Thanks for all, even if you couldn't help to me... Thanks!