Chameleon > General Discussion

noob Guide? eeePC 1000HE?

<< < (2/3) > >>

pootify:
Hey rcfa, great work! I'd love to see the step by step for how you got where you are right now, for the vanilla install. Is it anything more complicated than: Connect 1000HE drive via USB, Run Chameleon RC1 installer, Install Retail DVD, Copy over kexts and boot?

As for your XP question, check out this thread:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133507

It appears that the dual booting might work if you delete your "data" partition, so that the XP partition is third, due to some Microsoft boot code quirk. Give it a try!

Also note that you're technically not booting off a GUID partition, since when you use Apple Disk Utility to partition a drive as "GUID", it actually makes a hybrid GUID/MBR drive.

monkey:
Hey RCFA,

I am very interested to know exactly which kexts you needed to overwrite to get the vanilla install working.
I have tried myself with no luck. Is it the ACPI APCI ones?
great to hear a success story.

rcfa:
Thanks for the various pointers, I'll check them out.

I hope I'll find the time to write it all up in the next few days or so. There are still a few refinements I'm testing, and I have a pile of "real" work to do, too.

Once I'm done, I'll upload the required stuff, or if there's a site where I can upload the boot-132 iso image, plus a dmg with the post-install mods, that would make things easier. Not sure these fit in the 8MB limit for file uploads allowed here.

pootify:
hit me up if you end up needing more webspace, but mediafire and zshare should take care of most of your needs. also, i think i've found a way to make the 1000he stock wireless card work!

rcfa:

--- Quote ---hit me up at pootify AT gmail DOT com if you end up needing more webspace, but mediafire and zshare should take care of most of your needs. also, i think i've found a way to make the 1000he stock wireless card work!
--- End quote ---

Don't mediafire et al. require sign up, etc.? Don't feel like doing that. I could probably host it on mobileMe, but I'm not sure what Apple's stance is on me hosting Mac OS X hacking related things on their servers ;)

Anyway, very interesting about the stock wireless card, that's the only thing I don't have working. I ripped a WiFi card out of an AppleTV, and stuck it into the Eee. The advantage of this is, it is recognized as an airport card, so all the built-in WiFi support just works, while some other stuff requires extra tools to do the config, etc. so I'm not sure how well it plays e.g. with Locations, etc. But please let me know what you did. Maybe we can combine it all into a generic 1000HE setup.

Ronald

Now if only someone (Apple) were to make a netbook with a 1280x768 screen, Atom 330-like CPU and an ION GPU, and a transreflexive screen, an ExpressCard slot, and about 6h of real-world operation. That would be the ultimate road-warrior, traveler's or out-doors persons laptop.
I don't care about more than the 10.5" screen size or ultra-thin. All of the above would well fit into the same footprint we're already familiar with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version