Author Topic: Need urgent advice on new install  (Read 2081 times)

eyvind

Need urgent advice on new install
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »
First of all: mods - if you think this is crap and should be removed/moved: go ahead :P

Well first i had a perfectly working windows 7/ osx 10.5.7 dual boot with chameleon. The filesystem was MBR, and the bootloader was chameleon (installed into the mbr and the osx partition). The disk was 250GB, and i had it partitioned into 120/120 partitions. The first one was windows, the second OSX. Anyway, everything was working perfectly, then when installing a new chassi - I accidentally drop my HD and it flickers and burns (metaphorically). So now I bought a new 1 TB HD. Its completely clean and the primary HD (no other disks are isntalled, except an unreliable 80gb ntfs - good for progs/docs but not really windows [minor corruption issues]).

Anyway now im going planning to set up windows 7/osx setup again on the TB drive. I have had a few ideas for the partitioning:

-Making two small (10-20GB) partitions for windows and OSX, while having two Big partitions (~490GB) for programs and documents (this involves moving t he home folder in OSX and the user folder in windows to the two BIG partitions - i know this is possible and i know how to do it). This would ensure windows and OSX are always at the beginning of the drive (no frag) and load (relatively) faster. This would also mean i would only need to backup the docs/progs partitions. If this reasoning is wrong - please point it out.

-Halving the drive so i have osx on one partitiona nd windows on the other (pretty simple)

I also need advice on whether i should make it in to a (damn... whaddyacallit - oh yeah:) GPT partition (read somewhere this helps larger drives work faster). I have no issues witht the extra work needed to make it into a GPT.

I also have a question - as soon as you make a drive into GPT (using any tool) is a hidden EFI partition made, or does that only happen when you format the drive using OSX??
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:22:08 AM by eyvind »
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

eyvind

Re: Need urgent advice on new install
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »
Eh well got it to work (sorta) in the end :P

Created the EFI, Windows, Win DATA, OSX, OSX data partitions in diskpart (after converting the entire TB disk to GPT), then formatted the windows and win data partition to NTFS, and cancelled the windows install and booted OSX install. Here i formateed the osx, and osx data  partitions as HFS, and installed. Finally i installed windows, and now they live happily ever after :P (actually im having a lotta probs)
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack