Author Topic: How to revise partitioning of the boot disk?  (Read 2741 times)

cmcd01

How to revise partitioning of the boot disk?
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:21:06 PM »
I'm using Chameleon to boot from a MBR disk with the following partitions:

[primary] 1: XP Pro (boot)
[primary] 2: OS X (boot)
[primary] 3: NTFS data
[extended] 4a: XP Program Files
[extended] 4b: HFS+ data

I'd like to do change to the following configuration:

[primary] 1: XP Pro (boot)
[primary] 2: OS X (boot)
[extended] 3a: XP Program Files
[extended] 3b: HFS+ data
[extended] 3c: NTFS data
[primary] 4:  Windows 7

Basically, I want to free up a Primary partition to run Win7.  And, I want to physically move Program Files closer to the center.  I can move the NTFS Data partition from Primary to Extended.  I'll also do a little resizing of some of the partitions.  I plan to use GPARTED, maybe iPartition.

The question is will these changes require a re-installation of Chameleon?  If so - if these changes to the MBR screwup the current Chameleon installation - is it simply a matter of booting into my OSX partition (via Boot132) and re-running the Chameleon install program?  Or, will it be more complicated?

Thank you -

cmcd01

Re: How to revise partitioning of the boot disk?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »
No help yet... is it that no one has an answer, or is the question just too stupid?  ::)

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »
It should be still ok after you change your partition layout :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
You can try the program iBored to look at your partitions if you know a little about the disk layout.

E.g, in iBored's menu there's a command "View partitions" which can tell you a bit more, maybe - although it does not know about extended parts yet.
But you could look into the active partition to see if it contains the boot1h code at its start.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:46:18 PM by tempolo »

cmcd01

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
tempolo, do you think the changes I want to make will cause a problem?  I understand your iBored could be useful in fixing such issues?  But, zef just said he doesn't think the changes should affect Chameleon.  Determining if I'd have to resort to disk sector-type fixes was the point of this question.
Thanks, guys -

cmcd01

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:43:33 AM »
Success  ;D
Deleted partition, resized, moved, and created other partitions.  The Chameleon installation appears unaffected, operating as before, but recognizing the modified partitions. 

Some things that I didn't do that might have caused more difficulty:  1) make changes to the OSX or XP system (boot) partitions  2) change what partition is active  3) install Windows 7 (I've established a new partition with the purpose of installing Win7 but haven't installed it yet).

GPARTED has worked perfectly for non-destructive partition management.