overdue-scratch

Author Topic: What the Boot.plist option "EthernetBuiltIn" does  (Read 4683 times)

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
What the Boot.plist option "EthernetBuiltIn" does
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
v2.0 RC2 allows us to add the option

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
  <string>y</string>

to the com.apple.Boot.plist file (in /Extra).

All this does is this:

If you look at the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, you would often find that on the first network interface "en0", which is for the computer's primary ethernet interface, the property IOBuiltin is set to false. The above option turns this into true

This fix is often helpful to fix the common "... UUID ... Error: 35" problem, which slows down app launches and prevents Time Machine from working.

However, this fix alone does not appear to help in all cases. In my case, where my netbook only has a working WLAN but no LAN (Ethernet) port at all, Time Machine still does not work despite having IOBuiltin now set to true.

If someone knows how to get TM work when there is no driver/device for en0 available, please comment.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
Re: What the Boot.plist option "EthernetBuiltIn" does
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »
Yes, create a dummy Ethernet kext and return the MAC address, I think that should do.

Lord Anubis

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
Yes, create a dummy Ethernet kext and return the MAC address, I think that should do.

Can you elaborate how to do this.

Thank you very much!
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »

I'd think so, too. Only that no one appears to have done just that yet, although this is the most sensible and cleanest solution - I wonder why.

Apex

• Observer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
Anyone got this Feature working? If i remove the Devicepropertystring for my NIC, it is NOT flagged as internal.

MB: GA-EP-45-DS3, RTL 8139 NIC on PCI Slot
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:43:08 PM by Apex »